[scribus] Trying to get 1.3.5 to put on Ubuntu machine

StevenD daytonmeister at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 06:15:39 CEST 2009

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 19:05:01 -0600
> StevenD <daytonmeister at gmail.com> dijo:
>

>> Anyway I guess I will just wait a while. It would be nice to download
>> and install the latest version using the Add/Remove dialog or the
>> Synaptic Package Manager. By the way is there a way to update the info
>> in the Synaptic Package Manager so it will get the latest version? Maybe
>> this is off topic.
>>

> I recall you are new to Linux (Ubuntu) and were having issues figuring
> out Synaptic. I would suggest that learning about Synaptic and package
> management should be moved toward the top of your list of things to be
> learned. It will make life in Linux a lot easier.
>
> To get the latest Scribus, you will want to add two repositories. The
> instructions are here:
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Getting_Scribus_on_Ubuntu/Kubuntu_up_and_running
>
> Even that page is not as clear as it could be for a novice. What you
> want is to add:
>
> deb http://debian.scribus.net/debian jaunty main non-free
> deb-src http://debian.scribus.net/debian jaunty main non-free
>
> To your list of repositories. There are command line options to do this
> that old hands will swear are better. In fact, in this case the command
> line is no better than doing it with the GUI. Just go to System >
> Administration > Software Sources. I think the GUI is pretty clear, but
> if you have trouble adding the Scribus and tagancha repositories,
> holler back. Oh, and after adding them, Software Sources will yell at
> you that you need to update your repository list. Let it do so.
>
> After you have added the above repositories you will automatically find
> the latest and greatest version in Synaptic. You can figure out if
> there is a new version by running System > Administration > Update
> Manager. Do note, however, that sometimes you will read about a brand
> new release here on the list and it won't be in the Scribus and
> tagancha repositories for a day or two. That's because there is only
> one person in charge of uploading them and sometimes he gets busy. It's
> hard to get stuff done when you have a life.

I did in fact get the latest and greatest Scribus doing as you outlined
and it worked great. In fact it was the only one I got to work for me I
think the reason being the directions were very clear. I have tried
following suggestions and directions for several other apps but I just
couldn't follow them or would get to a certain point and get errors.

Learning how to work the Synaptic Package Manager is now at the top of
my list. As well as learning the lingo when working in the Terminal.

Thanks much for the help and guidance.

StevenD