[scribus] Kerning with combining diacriticals

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Aug 13 00:03:07 CEST 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:53:02 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 17:22:08 -0400
> John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> dijo:
>
> > > Thanks for the PDF. I read the section about diacriticals, but it
> > > did not list the voiceless or syllabic diacritical. Voiceless is
> > > a small circle, similar to the citcle on Ångstrom, but below the
> > > letter. For characters with a descender it is customary to put
> > > the circle above the letter, although I frequently see it still
> > > below the letter but adjusted lower so it does not impact the
> > > descender. (I would prefer this method, and it should be possible
> > > using Scribus' adjustment to the baseline). The syllabic
> > > diacritical is a small vertical bar and is used the same as the
> > > voiceless symbol.
> > >
> > > So I need to know how to enter these two diacriticals in TeX. If
> > > an underdot below an o is \.o, I need to know what character to
> > > use for these two diacriticals. Or is there a way to use a
> > > Unicode value for the symbol instead of a letter? Also, do they
> > > need a space like the haček?
> > >
> > > And I also need to figure out how to tell Scribus "hey, the next
> > > characters should be rendered as TeX, OK"? Presumably there are
> > > some characters I can enter in Story Editor for the "hey" and the
> > > "OK."
>
> > With Scribus 1.3.5 and higher you have an icon for TeX. You draw a
> > fram something like a text frame. but it operates differently.
> > There is a sample already in the frame. You can delete that and put
> > any code you like including regular text, diacritics etc.
>
> Ah, I've already been there. But I'm not sure how the Render Frames
> work. I need to insert the characters in a story of several pages. I
> thought Render Frames just created a graphic. I was under the
> impression that I could just enter some secret code into Story Editor
> that would tell Scribus to render the following code as TeX.
>
> I'll just wait until you have time to respond. No big rush.

Ack. I just (re)discovered that Render Frames limits me to four fonts,
none of which are even remotely similar to Junicode. I have done the
entire work in Junicode. Not only would switching at this point take
days of work, but there are no other fonts as suitable for linguistics
work.

I don't think TeX is going to be the solution.