[scribus] Scribus Limits, Present and Future

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Aug 10 18:54:55 CEST 2009

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:14:16 +0100
John Beardmore <John at T4sLtd.co.uk> dijo:

> >> It really would be good to know what makes Scribus slow
> >> down in big documents and assay what various people have managed easily
> >> / got away with.
> >>
> >> I suppose until 1.3.5 is released, there isn't much point in comparing
> >> experiences in detail, but maybe once 1.3.5 is out we should all
> >> contribute the following information for our larger projects ?
> >>
> >>      Processor
> >>      RAM
> >>      Document number pages
> >>      Page size
> >>      Average number of linked text frames
> >>      Maximum number of linked text frames
> >>      Numbers of characters in linked text frapmes
> >>      Which operations in Scribus are least responsive

> > The document I am working on at the moment is 120 pages with lots of
> > vector graphics and text frames. But there are no text frame threads
> > that go more than five or six frames, and there are no bitmaps. It is
> > painfully slow, but I have found that learning and using keyboard
> > shortcuts is some help. For example, if I deselect an object by
> > clicking elsewhere on the canvas it takes ~15 seconds for the object to
> > become deselected, but if I do Ctrl-Shift-a the object is deselected
> > instantly. Similarly, right-clicking on a text frame to get the context
> > menu and then selecting Edit Text it takes 5-10 seconds for the context
> > menu to come up. But if I do Ctrl-y the Story Editor launches right
> > away (although it still takes several seconds before it is ready). Just
> > about every mouse action is slow, yet if I can use a keyboard shortcut
> > the action happens instantly.
>
> OK -  I'm not a Scribus developer, but if I were, I imagine that would
> give me some clues.
>
> If the problem lurks with the innards of Qt there may not be much they
> can do about it I guess, but at least using the keyboard short cuts can
> be made known as a quicker way to navigate around Scribus.
>
> Out of interest, in terms of the check list I suggested above, what are
> you using ?

The computer is a Lenovo Thinkpad T61. It has a Core-2 Duo 2 GHz,
SATA-1 hard disk, nVidia Quadro 140, 4 GB RAM, and I use Jaunty x86_64.
It is about a year and a half old. It's not cutting edge, but it's far
from ancient.

I wonder if the mouse issues are within Qt.