[scribus] Newbie Mac User

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Sun Aug 2 15:48:14 CEST 2009

John Culleton wrote:

> Other distros worth considering are Kubuntu and Slackware which I
> use. Both of these use the more Windows-like KDE interface by
> default. Slackware also allows a choice of several simplified
> interfaces.

I've never used slack.  Didn't sound as if it had much by way of
automated package management last time I heard, but that's not
necessarily a bad thing. It sounds as if I'd like the culture. Maybe I
should give it a try.

>  And if the author has not blocked it I can highlight
> and copy text from a pdf, a web page etc.  into my favorite editor
> program.

Can't that be be done on pretty much every desktop though ?

> I can install Slackware from DVD a lot faster than I was able to
> install Kubuntu or Ubuntu.  But I have been doing it for a while.

Not really an issue.

> IMO the Gnome interface featured on Debian and its variant Ubuntu
> is idiosyncratic and harder to use. But "de gustibus non disputandum
> est " etc.  (roughly there is no disputing about taste).

We have various ages of Kubuntu on some machines -  and yes, I generally
prefer it to gnome. Then again, so far, I hardly use the linux desktop.
  When I programmed in *nix, graphical desktops were still some way over
the horizon and we made our own text / graphics workstations out of
Apricot Xi 'PC's with the video chips reprogrammed, and Pluto graphics
boxes piggybacked into those over some sort of parallel interface. Mice
came from Penny and Giles with a Z8 based interface card which talked to
the Apricot via a serial interface. The Apricot UARTs struggled to
manage 9600 baud !

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor