[scribus] Newbie Mac User

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Aug 2 15:19:28 CEST 2009

On Sunday 02 August 2009 08:15:49 am John Beardmore wrote:
> Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
> > My point is really that I recommend Ubuntu to new users
> > *precisely because of* things like the fact that you can't edit
> > the text in the 3dtext screensaver. Starting with a
> > harder-to-use distro is a mistake, imo.
>
> Maybe, but I would have thought that text screen saver where you
> couldn't change the text would be seem by most users as utterly
> pointless ?
>

> Cheers, J/.

Other distros worth considering are Kubuntu and Slackware which I
use. Both of these use the more Windows-like KDE interface by
default. Slackware also allows a choice of several simplified
interfaces.  And if the author has not blocked it I can highlight
and copy text from a pdf, a web page etc.  into my favorite editor
program.

I can install Slackware from DVD a lot faster than I was able to
install Kubuntu or Ubuntu.  But I have been doing it for a while.

IMO the Gnome interface featured on Debian and its variant Ubuntu
is idiosyncratic and harder to use. But "de gustibus non disputandum
est " etc.  (roughly there is no disputing about taste).

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95