[scribus] Newbie Mac User

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Sat Aug 1 20:49:27 CEST 2009

John Culleton wrote:
>  If you use a self loading Linux cdr such as Knoppix (Debian) or
>Slax (Slackware) your "hard disk" is really main memory and after
>the 2.5 mins initial load time things run faster, not slower.

   Thanks for setting me straight on this. I'll keep it in mind as I
move forward.

>   And
>I don't believe you need to "ignore all descriptions more then two
>years old." I still use my  Coherent Manual from the 90's as a
>reference to the standard utilities found on any 'nix system.

   I don't doubt that you are right; many of the things I learned
about the Macintosh are still valid today. However, I suspect that
Jeffrey's point is still valid. The 'nix universe is moving quickly,
as is the rest of the computer universe. Unfortunately, they are both
moving a bit fast for my comfort.

John