[scribus] TOC instructions don't work on 1.3.5svn

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Apr 12 05:18:53 CEST 2009

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 13:03:10 +1000 (EST)
"Owen" <rcook at pcug.org.au> dijo:

> > Scribus 1.3.5svn April 3 version on Ubuntu Intrepid x86_64.
> >
> > The instructions at:
> >
> > http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Creating_a_Table_of_Contents
> >
> > Don't work for me. I can't get past the first requirement, that is,
> > giving it an Item Attribute Name. The drop-down button doesn't drop
> > down or do anything at all.
> >
> > The Extras > Generate TOC fails to generate the TOC. I assume it is
> > because I was unable to specify an Item Attribute Name.
> >
> > I don't know if this is a bug in 1.3.5svn or if the wiki needs
> > updating. I couldn't find a bug report related to this. Can someone
> > please verify and/or explain what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
>
> Well what's on the wiki applies to 1.3.12, but don't worry about that
>
> Did you go to Document Setup->Document Item attributes
> press the Add button and enter, for example, TOC, set the type
> (string?) and give a value

There's the problem. I can go to Document Setup, but there is no
"Document Item" icon. Closest I can get is "Document," and it doesn't
have an Add button.

However, I can go to Table of Contents and Indexes, and there I find an
Add button. It works and I can add an item, but the drop-down button
for Item Attribute Name does not do anything. It does not drop down or
give me a dialog box to type a name in.

> then go to Table of Content and indexes and then TOC should appear in
> your drop down box

The TOC doesn't appear there because I can't add it in the previous
dialog box.

I suspect there were changes from 1.3.3.x to 1.3.5svn that makes things
different. Or there is a bug and that drop-down button for Item
Attribute Name is supposed to work but doesn't.