[scribus] Newbie Questions About Spreads

Tom Connolly tconnolly at embarqmail.com
Thu Apr 9 20:41:39 CEST 2009

I'm new to Scribus, but not to DTP. Your best bet is to confer with your
printer. Does he have the software to make a booklet pdf from your
single-page pdf file?  If so, he will deal with the things like bleed and
creep.  All you need worry about is the precise placement of your pictures
where they cross over.  I would stay away from having body type cross over.
Headline size type (24 pt & up) OK, but you may not be pleased with small
crossover type.
If he doesn't have pagination software you may have to create your layout in
printer's spreads, in which case you need to ask the printer for a
imposition layout. This will tell you what pages print side by side that
when folded and collated and bound will provide proper page sequence. In
order to get this you need to know how large a signature he is going to
print (i.e., how many pages on a press sheet). This will be based on your
needs regarding page count and page size and number of copies, and his
equipment capabilities. That's why you need the printer to be involved asap.
You shouldn't have any trouble doing this in 15 or so days.  I'll be
watching for any other questions from you that I may be able to answer, and
will be glad to help. There is a way to achieve what you want to do. Start
with the printer.