[scribus] Formula in 1.3.5 (bug)

mrdocs mrdocs at scribus.info
Tue Apr 7 23:22:07 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 07 April 2009 07:02:19 pm alessandro rimoldi wrote:
> hello john jason,
>
> > I have:
> >
> > Scribus version 1.3.5svn
> > Build ID: C-C-T-F-C1.8.0-64bit
> > Using Ghostscript version 8.63
> >
> > If the embed pdf feature is in this version, where is the button?
> >
> > If not, is there a way to install the version that has it on Intrepid
> > x86_64?
>
> there should be a checkbox in the main tab of your "pdf export" dialog...
>
> ... if it's not there, you're out of luck and:
>
> - have to wait until everything you need gets packaged for your system or
>
> - compile all you need yourself.
>

> you're looking for two features which are still being developed, your using
> a platform which is still not well supported for desktop computers and
> installed the linux distribution which has the most problems with
> scribus...
>

> i don't think you're making your life easy...

+1

So what are the options to make life easier ?

Use a distribution/platform which is friendlier to and has better packaging
for the Qt libraries on which Scribus relies heavily:

- Original Debian where we have a superb maintainer. If you run Debian
testing, you should almost always be able to have the latest and greatest with
a fairly usable system.

- Windows ! - Scribus flies on Win2k/XP - If you disable Themes as a service.

- openSuse or Fedora where I provide regularly update snapshots of both stable
1.3.3.x or 1.3.5svn

I would note for the readers that openSUSE is the distribution used by the
majority of Scribus developers followed by Debian. Why this is is something to
ponder.  (Hint - Suse developers have a clue about how to package Qt.)

*No* Scribus developer uses *buntu.   By choice.  Based on experience. Just
for your information. :)

Peter