[scribus] (Now OT) 1.3.5 32-bit deb to install on Hardy?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Apr 3 23:05:34 CEST 2009

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 13:35:32 -0600
OM <malex at scribus.info> dijo:

> * John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> [2009-04-03 10:06:25 -0700]:
>
> > I am trying to figure out who to blame for this. Since it happens with
> > various fonts and it happens with various applications, the problem is
> > not in the fonts or the applications. My current #1 suspect is Gnome,
> > but it may also be something in the kernel. Therefore, I have been
> > trying different distros of different ages to see if I can find one
> > where the problem doesn't happen. Then I can figure out what is
> > different between that distro and the ones where it happens. For
> > example, later today I am going to try Kubuntu Intrepid. The only
> > difference between that and my computer is KDE. Therefore it should
> > either convict or acquit Gnome.
> >
> > And I have a book cover that I created in 1.3.5 on my Intrepid computer
> > which has some of these font issues. That is why I keep trying to
> > install 1.3.5 on various distros - so I can open my book cover in it
> > and see if the problems persist. But it's not critical because I can
> > just create a new blank document in whatever version of Scribus is
> > available in the distro's repositories.
>
> I'll try to update the packages in our archive this weekend. Maybe some of the problems have
> been recently fixed.

Thanks, but there is no rush as I am now all but positive the problem is not in Scribus. I say that because it happens in OOo, KWord and Abiword as well. How could four different applications have the same exact bug? No, it must be something related to the version of Linux.

The problem is that characters which are available in a font are dropping out, but usually only when using the bold, italic or bold-italic version of the font. Y'all can help here if you have something other than Ubuntu (I have already tested from Hardy through Jaunty, with both Ubuntu and Kubuntu). Here is a test sentence:

Linguistics can be a [bɪt͡ʃ]. (regular)
Linguistics can be a [bɪt͡ʃ]. (bold)
Linguistics can be a [bɪt͡ʃ]. (italic)
Linguistics can be a [bɪt͡ʃ]. (bold-italic)

Naturally you need a font that has those characters is all four versions of the font. Junicode does, and so does Liberation and FreeSerif. Apply the listed attribute to each of the four sentences and report back to me (off-list, since I don't think this is really a Scribus issue).

It would be especially helpful to find someone who does not have the ɪ, ʃ and the tie bar fall out in the bold, italic and bold-italic fonts. Because if it does work for you then I can get a lot closer to figuring out where the bug is by comparing your system with the ones where I know it doesn't work right.