[scribus] Horizontal text alignment and adjustment problems

Mike Morris twriterext at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 21:30:02 CEST 2008

I am using Scribus 1.3.3.11 for Windows, and to teach myself the program, I
started several projects, one of which is a business card.

For what it is worth, I set up an 8.5 x 5.5 document for 4 business cards
with 0.5 in between the two columns and the two rows (this is not the issue,
just for info).

I entered a text frame into one business card, and because there was so
little text, simply typed in the text (after selecting the Edit Contents of
Frame tool).  The default text alignment is centered.  I then used Ctrl+A to
select all the text.

I tried using the Align Text Center button in the Text Properties.
Sometimes nothing would happen.  Other times some text would center and some
would not.  In one case, it appeared that one line of text that did not
center ended up in a separate text frame.  I have screen shots of several
instances of this problem.

The problem occurs whether I type in the text or copy the text into the
frame.

If I select the entire text frame, and use Style/Alignment/Center, I don't
see this problem.

I searched the mailing list, but did not find any relevant postings.  I
searched the bug tracker and found references to similar problems in earlier
versions.  ID # 0003261 refers to a similar problem in the Linux version of
Scribus 1.3.3cvs, but that bug goes back to January of 2007, and is not
resolved.  Unlike that report, for me, the presence of the Align Text Center
button in the Text Properties problem is consistent, although it displays
differently at times.  The problem only seems to occur (so far) when I add a
graphics frame (not inside the text frame), and use text wrap.

I also tried using the Manual Tracking adjustment feature in the Text
Properties.  It worked, but sometimes the amount of the manual adjustment is
displayed, and sometimes not (with the adjusted text selected).  I can click
on the adjusted text, and the adjustment value will briefly appear and
disappear.

My question is therefore, have I missed something regarding the Text
Properties box, or are the displays I have observed bugs?  If the latter,
considering I am using version 1.3.3.11, should I file a bug report?

My computer is Win XP/Pro SP3 with a 1.5 GHz Pentium M processor and 2 GB of
RAM.