[scribus] Scripting a Contact Sheet

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Wed Sep 24 07:27:12 CEST 2008

Henry Hartley wrote:
> Gregory Pittman wrote
>>>>
>>> Here is a script I wrote:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Automatic_import_of_images:_Versions_not_requiring_Tkinter
>>>
>>> Actually 2, one for A4 paper, one for US Letter. There are also
>>> variations on number of images per page.
>
> That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. The only adjustment I had to make to get it to run on WinXP/1.3.5svn was to change the font to a font I had. That and trick the scripter into seeing the file (see my post from 08/20/2008) and it worked.
>
> I decided to change the image frames to squares so that images are the same size whether horizontal or vertical shots. The down side is that there isn't an obvious way to center (vertically and horizontally) scaled images in those frames. I may go back to rectangular frames but change their orientation with the orientation of the image.
>
> In any case, you did the heavy lifting for me and I'm grateful.
>
> --
> Henry

You could use imagemagick to create a directory of your images, then import them into Scribus
using the script at:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Automatic_import_of_images:_Versions_not_requiring_Tkinter

The below one-liner is quite obvious and can be adjusted to suite:
for i in *.jpg; do montage -geometry 800x603 -background black -quality 95 $i -$i; done

This will give a black background (on either side) to 'portrait' photos whilst keeping
'landscape' ones without any background - you can obviously change the color 'black' to any color
you like.
Try experimenting a bit....

Blessings,

Nigel