[scribus] keep getting error message no ghostscript

jwminer at accessvt.com jwminer at accessvt.com
Mon Sep 22 05:28:03 CEST 2008

Eric wrote:
>      Subject: keep getting error message  no ghostscript
>      Message:
> I loaded ghostscript and it is in my external tools , but I can't
> import
> images EPS , I get an error message when I start up no ghostscript
> and
> another fatal error when I drag or copy an EPS file . I'm new to
> this , but I
> believe I followed instructions . Someone mentioned to convert to
> large
> bitmap format , what app do i use ?? Thank you for your help

Did you download Ghostscript following the links in Greg's message?
What is the name of the Ghostscript file you downloaded? The current
one is gs863w32.exe. Did you install Ghostscript by double-clicking
	gs863w32.exe? gs863w32.exe is the *installer* for Ghostscript, not
the Ghostscript program itself.

If you installed Ghostscript, the executable file should appear in
\Program Files\gs\gs8.63\bin. There are two files: gswin32.exe and
gswin32c.exe. As the Scribus instructions state, under Scribus's
Preferences, External Tools, you should have gswin32c.exe as the
Name of Executable. Click on the Change button and locate
gswin32c.exe. Click on Open and the entire path to gswin32c.exe
should appear in the Name of Executable box.

If you're not finding a gswin32c.exe file in the \bin subdirectory
of your \gs\gs3.63 directory, your GhostScript did not install
properly.

To convert the image to a large bitmap format, start the application
with which you created the EPS files (or some other applications
that can import EPS files as graphics, not just the bitmapped EPS
preview) and save as a high-resolution raster graphic (TIF is a good
format to save in). Insert an image frame in Scribus, right-click on
the frame, and select Get Image. Direct it to the TIF and it should
appear in the frame.

I think once you get GhostScript properly installed, you probably
will be able to use the EPS and won't need to save the graphic as a
TIF.

I hope this helps.
--Judy M.
  USA