[scribus] GhostScript & other installation Qs

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Sep 19 16:29:28 CEST 2008

Tom Hall wrote:
> Submitted on 09/19/2008 - 00:47
> Submitted by anonymous user: [71.115.189.43]
>
> Submitted values are
>
>   Your contact information:
>     Name: Tom Hall
>     Email Address: thall at accn.org
>   About your Scribus program:
>     Version: 1.3.3.12
>     Prebuilt/Compiled: Prebuilt
>     Build Date:
>   Your operating system and CPU:
>     Type: Windows
>     Version: 2000/XP
>     CPU type: 32bit  Intel/AMD (i386)
>   Your request content:
>     Subject: GhostScript & other installation Qs
>     Message:
> Hi- it wasn't until I saw the readme in the Scribus package that I
> learned GhostScript might be needed. I found it at wisc.edu but the
> file is called gs863w32.exe, which doesn't conform to the readme
> 'exact file name' cautions. also that Scribus is now already installed
> & on a Vista machine...

Windows 2000 isn't the same as XP for installation. 2000 also needs you
to install GDI+, whereas XP already has it included (and I think Vista
already has it too). Make sure you review the requirements and process.
We have MANY users in Windows 2000/XP/Vista, so there is no reason it
shouldn't work.
> I have a Samsung CPL300 laser printer, and its unclear if I need
> Postscript capability.
> I'd like the readme to be updated to a current step-by step, with a
> link to other files required by 1st time (trial) users.
You need ghostscript for Scribus to process images in particular, and
no, you do not need a Postscript-capable printer -- that is what
ghostscript is all about, actually. I am aware that the documentation
for Windows installation is less than straightforward, and probably
wrong in some areas. You can help us and other users by pointing out
difficulties and errors, so we can fix this.

> My essential interest is to structure a small town newspaper- but in
> both print & online. It is not clear if Scribus can do that in a
> practical sense.
This is definitely doable. I hope you will be persistent so you can
accomplish what you need.

Make sure to use the wiki for help:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Main_Page

Greg