[scribus] scribus Digest, Vol 6, Issue 33

James Gilmore james.d.gilmore at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 19:52:57 CEST 2008

> The original question was about using Scribus to create a "webzine."  I
> looked up the definition of webzine on Wikipedia.  There is no restriction
> (in the definition) of the format.  *Certainly Scribus could do the job*.

Scribus can make E-zines well. By E-zine, I mean, "Here's my webpage
where you can download my latest 'zine in pdf format." Webzine, otoh,
means (to me) anything comparable to a blog (but with several
writers.) Pretty much by definition, HTML works best. In any case,
some form of markup language, whether that's some subset of xml such
as DocBook or perhaps wiki-style markup.

I guess I'm really just trying to say it depends on what you want for
output. If you are trying to generate a pdf, you'll probably be
satisfied with Scribus' outstanding capabilities. If you're trying to
make what is essentially a blog, then probably not.

Also remember that Scribus is part of a tool chain. It's very good,
but really not ideal for the actual generation of content. It's
purpose is generating exact layout. If you're not concerned with exact
layout (generally for hardcopy printing, though this isn't necessarily
true,) then use something else better suited, like a word processor,
and you will chew through fewer antacids. ;)