[scribus] drop-down menus hidden by properties dialog

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 21:40:12 CEST 2008

2008/9/11 Allen McBride <allencmcbride at gmail.com>

> Hi folks,
>
> I installed Scribus on my Mac (Intel, OS 10.5) using MacPorts, which gave
> me version 1.3.3.11.  It mostly works great, but when I try to change any
> option in the Properties dialog that requires a drop-down menu (or any kind
> of sub-menu or sub-dialog; I don't really know the proper terms), these
> menus are drawn behind the Properties dialog window, so I can only see bits
> on the edges.  Same with tooltips.  I couldn't find anything about this in
> the documentation; can anyone suggest a way to get around it?
>
> Also, I'm curious to try version 1.3.5svn... is there anything special I
> have to do to have both that and 1.3.3.11 installed at the same time?
>
> Thanks for any help!
> --Allen

Hi Allen,

I am also responding to your second (same) post. To be honest, I thought
someone more knowledgeable than me would give you more straightforward
answers! But apparently, everyone is busy so let me give it a quick shot.

1.3.3.x on the Mac is somewhat a dead end in my view. It relies on an
underlying piece of work named Qt that handles most of the GUI. The Qt
version for 1.3.3.x is Qt 3 and it has its load of issues, especially under
Mac OS X. This might include the issues you are currently experiencing, but
I cannot tell for sure. The Sribus team has moved to Qt version 4 but this
is implemented only in the development version of Scribus, 1.3.5svn. This
version works much better on a Mac than 1.3.3.x but it is nonetheless *not*
meant for production.

We can only encourage Mac people to use Scribus and report bugs but it is
unadvisable to use it for serious work. Only serious testings! :-)

You can run both Scribus versions on a Mac. I am not aware of issues
regarding this. I run many versions of Scribus on my Mac Book Pro running
Mac OS X 10.4.x. There seem to be no interference between those versions,
afaik.

HTH

Louis