[scribus] Smaller file sizes?

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 19:33:12 CEST 2008

2008/9/12 John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com>

> On Friday 12 September 2008 02:11:58 am Peter Nermander wrote:
> > > the ones that I produce (a top full width logo; two column text
> > > with 4 or 5 jpg's) but their's
> > > are around the 500 KB mark whilst mine are 1.3 Mb! Their's are
> > > produced using 'easyPDF SDK 4.3'
> > > and 'InDesign CS 3.0.1'.
> >
> > After reading through the digest my guess is that they do not embed
> > fonts. If they use fonts available on the readers computer
> > everything will still work fine, but if they use fonts the reader
> > don't have it will ha to be replaced by some other font.
> >
> > There are some "core" PDF fonts that all PDF readers should
> > support, so if you stick to them you don't need to embed.
>
> Based on my TeX experience relying on these core fonts yields
> uncertain results. I prefer to embed even these.  And yes, my Scribus
> files seem to be eating growth pills just like everyone else's.  On
> one project (an e-book on using Scribus for book covers) I had to
> revert to using TeX just to get the file down to the size required by
> my on-line e-book vendor.

A search in the bugtracker with the words "pdf size" shows there have been a
few bugs already on the size of the PDFs issue but none of these bugs are
active now. I think the issue is serious enough to be flagged as a bug and
with a reasonnably high priority too. We see here with your example that it
could even be a showstopper in some cases.

Louis