[scribus] Smaller file sizes?

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Sep 12 17:54:58 CEST 2008

On Friday 12 September 2008 02:11:58 am Peter Nermander wrote:
> > the ones that I produce (a top full width logo; two column text
> > with 4 or 5 jpg's) but their's
> > are around the 500 KB mark whilst mine are 1.3 Mb! Their's are
> > produced using 'easyPDF SDK 4.3'
> > and 'InDesign CS 3.0.1'.
>
> After reading through the digest my guess is that they do not embed
> fonts. If they use fonts available on the readers computer
> everything will still work fine, but if they use fonts the reader
> don't have it will ha to be replaced by some other font.
>
> There are some "core" PDF fonts that all PDF readers should
> support, so if you stick to them you don't need to embed.

Based on my TeX experience relying on these core fonts yields
uncertain results. I prefer to embed even these.  And yes, my Scribus
files seem to be eating growth pills just like everyone else's.  On
one project (an e-book on using Scribus for book covers) I had to
revert to using TeX just to get the file down to the size required by
my on-line e-book vendor.

--
John Culleton