[scribus] Smaller file sizes?

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Thu Sep 11 22:04:02 CEST 2008

Craig Bradney wrote:
> On Thursday 11 September 2008 21:19:34 Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> Craig Bradney wrote:

>>> How do you know its the images?
>>>
>>> Try setting the fonts to outline on export as a test.
>> Wow! That reduced the file size to a respectable 553.7 KB from 1.3 MB :-)
>> What's the difference between 'Embed' and 'Outline'?
>>

> Outlining just converts the glyphs to vector format, and throws away the rest
> of the font data. That is, it basically turns the letters into images and
> removes all ability to select the text etc.

I just opened my 'test' PDF and noticed that the 'fonts' are now an image and can't be selected
as text (that's good in one respect - no one can copy the text into a text editor and reuse it -
kind of like an imbeded copyright).
The downside is that the 'text' loses some of it's quality - it's not 'sharp' anymore.

> Embed dumps the font file into the PDF for reuse by the reader software. One
> day we will also have subset where only the use glyphs will be included.

Will this keep the quality of the text as sharp as 'embed'?

> Craig

Nigel

--
PrayingForIsrael.net