[scribus] Smaller file sizes?

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Thu Sep 11 21:38:03 CEST 2008

On Thursday 11 September 2008 21:19:34 Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Craig Bradney wrote:

> >> Personally, I resize the pictures I want to use to a size close to the
> >> one used in the final document.
> >> Have also a look at multivalent tools. The compress tool might be
> >> helpful to you (I never tried it, I just used the imposition tool) :
> >
> > How do you know its the images?
> >
> > Try setting the fonts to outline on export as a test.
>
> Wow! That reduced the file size to a respectable 553.7 KB from 1.3 MB :-)
> What's the difference between 'Embed' and 'Outline'?

Outlining just converts the glyphs to vector format, and throws away the rest
of the font data. That is, it basically turns the letters into images and
removes all ability to select the text etc.

Embed dumps the font file into the PDF for reuse by the reader software. One
day we will also have subset where only the use glyphs will be included.

Craig