[scribus] Booklets

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Tue Sep 9 07:19:54 CEST 2008

> If I correctly understand the Scribus documentation, in order to do this
> with Scribus, one needs an additional utility, either "psutils" or
> Multivalent.

There are other ways too.

Psutils work on postscript files and can create an imposition from a
postscript export. A suitable way if you have a postscript printer (since
you will then use postscript all the way from Scribus to the printer).

Multivalent works on PDF files, which might be a better option.

I also posted a link a couple of weeks ago to this program
http://www.quantumelephant.co.uk/bookbinder/bookbinder.html

Although the preview the program shows can look VERY strange (it doesn't
seem to support other fonts than the core pdf fonts) the output seems to
be very similar to what I got from using QuiteImposing with Adobe Acrobat
this summer (I did the daily camp paper for a scout camp).

> I found a mailing list response from March of 2006 that provides sources
> download either in Windows versions.  I connected to the two websites, but
> am still unclear which to use (if, in fact I am correct in concluding that

Multivalent is written in java, so there is no "Windows version". The same
program works on Windows, Mac or Linux.

> Apparently, with psutils, the booklet can be created directly from the
> Scribus file.  Is that correct?

No, you will have to export to postscript first. You might think of the
booklet creation using the printing system kprinter
(http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/How_to_make_a_booklet).

> What are the advantages/disadvantages of each approach?

Multivalent or the "bookbinder" program are the easiest to use and they
work on PDF files. However they aren't as flexible to use as the psutils
way (using pstops). But for simple booklets they work well.

/Peter