[scribus] Cut and Paste Oo formatting

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Fri Sep 5 10:16:47 CEST 2008

Roger schrieb:
> If I has a wish it would be that the scribus desktop have a  semi
> transparent
> setting so I could place the original under the Scribus Desktop, partially
> visible and trace the Scribus page layout over the top of the original, but
> that's only a wishful convenience and of no practical value.
> Roger

Hmmm, in fact I think this wouldn't be of help to me, as I get a lot of
texts in .doc format and convert them to .odt to be imported into
Scribus, but their layout is always A4 like from a typewriter, and the
layout of the papers I produce is with several columns (mostly).

What I usually do is, I make a hardcopy of the original text and browse
through the text in the Scribus editor, changing all hard formattings
manually. Admittedly, this is somewhat roundabout.

But e. g. my mostly used font is splitted into 4 files, so there
wouldn't be a way of just saying "make it italics" to Scribus even if it
was able to (why did Linotype deliver me such fonts back then - is this
the usual way, or have I just made some mistake installing them? Strange
enough, some programs show an additional font with all 4 styles in it,
some - like Scribus - don't).

Ok, so what would be necessary to achieve some ease of use is this:

1. Basic font familiy definition: Scribus should be able to accept some
sort of font definition under one font (family) name like e. g. "this
file for standard, this file for italics...". Then, when you choose one
font FAMILY and say "italics", the right file is chosen automagically
out of this definition.

2. Paragraph styles: Scribus then could be able to accept at least the
basic font outlines hardly formatted in .odt files. This would help when
importing them. In your paragraph style, you would only define the font
family, not the specific font file, and maybe one of the styles available.

3. To make things finer, one might be able to define replacement
formattings like "I don't want underline, but use bold-italics instead"
to make sure imported texts from the people who use their text
processors like a typewriter will still look acceptable in your layout
under Scribus.

Believe me, I'm getting a lot of texts with even words PARTLY formatted
in, say, italics to make a special thing clear (for everyone here on the
list not knowing German: In German combined words are written like one
single - longer - word, so it's e. g. the second part of a word which is
underlined, italics or whatever to stress something).

Rolf