[scribus] The Scribus target - a question for the developers

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Thu Sep 4 09:11:28 CEST 2008

>> This is an interesting comment. Maybe we could breifly discuss why you
>> consider OpenOffice.org more "finished" than Scribus 1.3.3.12 (the stable
>> version).

;-) Do not forget that Scribus and OpenOffice have a completely
different history. OOo has its roots in a commercial product
(Staroffice, which followed the stand-alone Starwriter, and I remember
working using this tool back in 1993 ;-) ) which was made open-source
after being aquired by Sun. So it is an ongoing development of an Office
Suite that had already been complete in the 90s, with huge companies
contributing to it. You can compare its history somehow to Mozilla.

Yet I think that Scribus is a rather complete tool, too - for a given
workflow you can do all you need. Only to broaden that workflow,
additions may be needed. Besides that, all is about performance and
bug-fixing ;-)

CU Lars.