[scribus] The Scribus target - a question for the developers

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Tue Sep 2 08:36:45 CEST 2008

> For certain items, such as business cards and letterheads (among other
> items), it is true that I, as shop owner, preferred to do the imposition
> in-house, rather than try to train my customers.  After all, how I would
run
> the job depended on its complexity and quantity, and even, to some extent,
> on other jobs on order.  If a customer brought me (in those days) a
> Pagemaker or Quark file, I would open the file and change the imposition
so
> that it would fit the way I wanted to run the job.
>
> Now I know that the Multiple Duplicate feature in Scribus can accomplish
> this task for such items--provided both customer AND shop have Scribus.
> However, the Scribus development goals appear to exclude use in shops:

Absolutely not. The "Scribus Development Goals" you talk about are currently
defined by the time we have, and as I said, that's about 4h per day total at
the moment, IF that. Goals and plans change depending on peoples' time
available. First things first.

It is 100% the aim to push Scribus documents into print shops, however in
all our experience with print shops (and we have many contacts with pro
printers out there across the world), most of them use very expensive
imposition tools that work with unimposed PDF files. This is part of the
move to PDF - you shouldn't need to care if the document came from Scribus
or Quark or wherever, it should be a well formed PDF (or whatever future
software-independent format).

It is therefore thought that we should spend our little spare time on more
day-to-day features, and usability aspects, etc.

Craig