[scribus] Placing /Scaling and file image/PDF size

Julian Robbins julian.robbins at q-par.com
Thu Oct 30 11:13:17 CET 2008

> Frank Cox wrote:

>> > imagemagick can do the whole thing for you in one smooth motion.
>> > Install that and type "man convert" for all of the details.
>>

> Sorry, Frank.
> I get a bit queezy anymore when at the command line.
> Windoze has corrupted me.
>
> Anyway, I find:
> http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
> works well for me. Batch resizing/renaming is a no-brainer. Perfect for me!
>
> Thanks,
> -Mike
Actually, for what you want there are some easier methods .

If you are just looking for a smaller PDF to be output at the end, you can just use the PDF creation tool and choose to tick the 'Resample Images to' probably 100DPI for screen, 300DPI for print.

This will make your PDF much smaller, as most of a PDF's bulk is made up of the images sizes.

The only downside of this is that you are still using the larger size images whilst using Scribus, so if the image size alone is bloating and slowing your Scribus work, this won't help at all. Only when creating the PDF will it help.

Interestingly, if you have images that are say, 72 DPI and you choose resize to 100DPI, it actually makes the PDF bigger as the images are stretched.

Another easy ish means of creating a much smaller PDF is to use the compress_newsletter script http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Web_optimised_PDF. I've used it for ages since the original writer added it to the wiki. Its seen a bit more of a mention recently on this mailing list. It really could/should be part of Scribus IMHO.

It actually has two benefits. It will shrink down your Scribus derived PDF quite a bit, possibly a factor of 4 or more. Scribus PDF's are very compliant to the PDF standards, but dont attempt at being small. This script sends the PDf to PS and then back to PDF. In the process, it also reforms the text so that it is properly created text, and this helps shrinks the PDF and make it text searchable too- important if you want Google to index the text on your PDF files !! Normal Scribus PDF's dont quite work right in this respect.

Good luck

--
Kind regards

Julian Robbins