[scribus] Placing /Scaling and file image/PDF size

Mike Breiding mike at WildWonderfulWV.us
Wed Oct 29 19:01:04 CET 2008

Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Mike Breiding wrote:
>>
>> Now that I know that what I am wondering is this: when the image is
>> scaled to fit the frame, does it reduce the image file size to reflect
>> the newly scaled size?
>> The reason I ask this is I am concerned about using full size images
>> and thus bloating the size of the PDF and also slowing screen refreshes.
>>
>> Any thoughts on this?

> There are a lot of thoughts on this.

> No, it does not reduce the image file size. Scribus just has a "pointer"
> (to use a computer term) to the file location, regardless of how much of
> the image and at what resolution Scribus is using it. Furthermore, it
> loads the entire file into RAM. So  the size of the image, the number of
> images, the size of your RAM (+ swap in the case of Linux) all interact
> to potentially be a problem. Scribus needs the whole file when it
> generates a PDF or prints directly.
>
> For something small, with only a few images, it's usually not an issue.
> After you use Scribus for awhile, you will get a sense of when to be
> concerned. OTOH, if you are loading a multi-MB image and only using a
> small piece of it, you would be wise to crop it (outside of Scribus) and
> use the cropped version.

OK. This is the way I thought it would be but needed verification.

So, now I am looking at resizing all 800 images I will using to the
approximate size I will be using in the book.
Rather daunting to say the least!

Any alternatives?

Thanks,
-Mike