[scribus] Back peddling - for now...

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Oct 15 14:54:10 CEST 2008

Mike Breiding wrote:

> Greetings,
> I feel I need to get more info about printing services before I move
> ahead with the Web to Book project.
>
> I have decided on this this format:
> http://www.viovio.com/index.php?structure_id=483
> 14x11 Portfolio book with wire-o binding binding
> Interior Paper:    120# (218gsm) Coated Gloss
> Cost is $7.49 + $.50 / page that would be about $110+ a copy for me
> (800 images, 4 images per page X .50/page.
>
> I had planned to get 5 copies made.
>
> Before I lock myself into this by choosing the 14x11 format/binding I
> would like to know if anyone has any feedback on this format or other
> print services which may be better suited for my project.
>
> There is also the PDF issue VioVio seems to have with Scribus.
> http://lists.scribus.net/pipermail/scribus/2008-October/031401.html
> Regardless of the assurances of some of you, this makes me a bit nervous.
>
> If this is getting into areas considered off-topic, please let me know.
> I am not sure if this list is *strictly* for Scribus issues or also
> spills over into design, printing, etc.
to characterize Scribus PDFs as unreliable is simply incorrect. As far
as the size of the PDFs, there are recommendations in the docs and the
wiki about how to reduce the  size. One way of reducing size is to
reduce image quality, but at some point this is a losing proposition for
you.

As someone else has suggested, I think you need to look around for other
printers, especially when you plan on spending this kind of money for 5
copies of your book.

Greg