[scribus] Using Scribus for a newsletter

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Wed Oct 8 06:49:29 CEST 2008

>> psbook $1.ps $1b.ps
>> echo 'psnup'
>> psnup -2 -ptabloid -Pletter $1b.ps $1p.ps
>> echo 'psselect'
>> psselect -o   $1p.ps $1o.ps
>> psselect -e -r  $1p.ps $1e.ps
>> lpr $1o.ps
>> echo 'switch paper'
>> read x
>> lpr $1e.ps
>> rm $1p.ps $1e.ps $1o.ps $1b.ps

> That sounds very interesting.  I assume you run the script from the Script
> tool in Scribus. How do you save it into a file to run it? Do you just
> save
> it in something like notepad and give it a particular suffix?

The above is a linux shell script, running it under MS Windows won't work.
You will have to create a corresponding BAT-file. Something like:

psbook %1.ps %1b.ps
echo 'psnup'
psnup -2 -ptabloid -Pletter %1b.ps %1p.ps
echo 'psselect'
psselect -o   %1p.ps %1o.ps
psselect -e -r  %1p.ps %1e.ps
copy %1o.ps LPT:
echo 'switch paper'
pause
copy %1e.ps LPT:
del %1p.ps %1e.ps %1o.ps %1b.ps

(I'm not sure all that works, I just "translated" the parts I know are
wrong, but more things might need to be changed.)

Under Windows I prefer to use Multivalent, it works directly on PDF.

I have BAT files like the following:

@echo off
set javarun="c:\program files\java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\java.exe"
set multivalent="c:\path to\multivalent.jar"

%javarun% -cp %multivalent% tool.pdf.Impose -dim 2x1 -layout 2,3,4,1
-paper "297x210 mm" -verbose %*

(Not sure what this one does, you will have to read the documentation for
Multivalent to know what options to use for your task. I think it will
make 4-page signatures (not a saddle stiched booklet))

Genereally for things like this you should never ever just copy someones
script straight off, you must understand what each step does or else you
might damage your system (by deleting important files by mistake).

/Peter