[scribus] Using Scribus for a newsletter

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Oct 7 16:43:42 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 07 October 2008 12:32:37 am Joe Ward wrote:
>     Thanks to several of you, I did get my first newsletter out
> using Scribus, my printer is happy with it, and apparently it will
> reach neighborhood mailboxes as advertised. Thank you all very
> much.
>
>      Jan, only after I had sent the issue off to the printer did I
> feel I had time to experiment with your suggestion about using
> Acrobat Reader. I found that if I exported the pages from Scribus
> to PDF in the order they need to be in the newsletter, and then
> opened the PDF in Acrobat Reader, and clicked on "page display" and
> "2up" or "2up continuous," the reader would display all the correct
> pages side by side just as I had hoped. Trouble is, I couldn't
> figure out what to do with it then. If I tried to save it or print
> it to file, it would revert to the single page configuration. How
> does one set reader to brochure printing?
>

>           -Joe Ward

I would save the file from Scribus in postscript format, then use the
psutil tools to set up pagination for booklet printing. Then convert
to pdf.

Here is my (linux) routine for making booklets for church.  For each
$1 you can substitute the root name of your file.  Linux does this
automatically. My home printer takes ps files. But ps2pdf is a simple
extra step:

psbook $1.ps $1b.ps
echo 'psnup'
psnup -2 -ptabloid -Pletter $1b.ps $1p.ps
echo 'psselect'
psselect -o   $1p.ps $1o.ps
psselect -e -r  $1p.ps $1e.ps
lpr $1o.ps