[scribus] �s 4

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Oct 4 23:28:16 CEST 2008

Le Monolecte wrote:
> I know we can't import import Xpress' files into Scribus, but how
> recover old files maked with old version of Xpress. The issue is Xpress
> can't read his own old files and all the scientific communication of
> this group of people are keep in old version Xpress files. They can't
> read this document, they don't have sources and thezy need informations.
> I said them to make futur communications with freeware... something like
> Scribus!

Here is something that talks about using InDesign to open Xpress files:

http://indesignsecrets.com/getting-text-out-of-old-quarkxpress-files.php

So I think the answer is going to be use some kind of proprietary
software, and more specifically finding someone who either has an old
version of Xpress or InDesign to load these files.
The lesson that perhaps they have learned is to not save in proprietary
formats (PDF might be an exception since it is so open), or that if you
do, make some plain-text archives of anything needed later.

There is also this:

http://www.iwriteiam.nl/QX.html

which may be unusable, but at least raises the possibility that someone
out there has cracked the file code to get the info out of it.

Greg