[scribus] Using SVN for Scribus sla files (a.l.e)

Calum Polwart scribus at wittongilbert.free-online.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 23:54:21 CEST 2008

> That's exactly what Adobe has done with InCopy, so apparantly there is
> some need for an application like that. InCopy even allows simultanous
> edits in different text flows within one document. Their trick is to
> split the main document into parts which basically are individal XML
> files.

I just had a very quick look at InCopy and it certainly seems very
powerful.  I think  there is more potential to make what has been
discussed so far VERY powerful...

If there was opportunity to upload the "sla file" (I say file but mean
the whole archive) to a website, The website could then 'roughly' render
the layout (1 page at a time) - just sufficient you could pick which
sections of text you might want to edit... - then an online editor could
allow that to be edited and saved back.  Comments added for things that
can't be easily edited online - eg align this with that?

While I've seen discussion before (GSC 2007 i think) about people trying
to get scribus to populate CMS - I don't *think* I've seen anything
about reverse population... i.e. an online editing method that can allow
someone to edit online and create an updated SLA?

Uses:
- Any publishing business - can say to the client that the files are
uploaded to site X (secure) if they wish to make textual changes.  That
sounds imensley smart!
- Online document creation... ...you could have some 'standard' business
cards online - let the user edit it online and send the resulting sla to
a workflow for printing... all automated...

Advantages over what was already discussed...
- Client free: no need to install OOo, Scribus etc - just a basic web
browser
- Server side: so the scribus geek runs the files etc...