[scribus] Using SVN for Scribus sla files

Calum Polwart scribus at wittongilbert.free-online.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 23:25:15 CEST 2008

a.l.e wrote:
> hi
>> I haven't ever figured out a way to allow a "linked"
>> text file - like you have with a picture.  If I have a picture and I
>> open it in gimp, & edit it then the changes come into scribus.  I
>> haven't found a way to do something like that with text... ...am I
>> missing something obvious?
>>
> imho, the biggest difference lay ins the fact that with scribus you
> tipically don't edit the picture, you just include it in your layout:
> so, the changes you do in the gimp won't affect the way scribus manages
> the picture.
>
> on the other side, you want to change and -- this is the biggest problem
> -- format text in scribus *and* oo.writer. the second one won't
> understand some of the formattings coming from scribus and the changes
> done in the first will scramble fine settings done at the layout stage.

Oh yeh - I followed the issue - just wasn't sure if there was a way
round it - and I guess the response is "Not yet"

> where i can agree with you is: it would be nice to have a tool which
> fully retains scribus' formattings and just lets you change the text and
> apply styles (a scribus plugin for oo.writer may be the best solution...
> but i fear that it can't be implemented...).

While a OO.o plugin might be good - I think we'd still hit problems with
the hard and fast MS Word users.  If as someone else suggested you could
just install story editor alone and edit with that it wouldn't seem to
extreme a request to ask MS Word users to install a little programme and
 make tweaks to their files, which could then be imported back in.