[scribus] Still the cut-off

William F. Maddock billsey at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 29 14:18:03 CET 2008

Pedrie, John,

With something like this, whether it turns out to be user error or
programmer error, there's a huge chance that it's going to be something
silly, because with long-standing problems like this they don't really
seriously consider the stuff that just seems too silly to be possible.

I have a competing DTP package as well, and for a long time it was
unable to auto-kern fonts for certain users (me included). It turned out
that the font-handling engine was failing to find the kerning
information for ANY of a certain type of fonts, but would always return
zero. The fact that it was third party code made it even worse, because
the DTP folks couldn't find the problem in their code (turns out it
wasn't there) and the folks that did the font-handling engine didn't
find it in theirs (probably because they weren't looking in the silly
places), and the end-users had to manually kern their documents. After
some years the DTP folks pinned down the problem and are producing a
work-around in their own code.

So, you've got to look in the silly places, and that includes the end
users—as well as ALL of the coders. That's the only way you're going to
pin it down. If it seems too silly to be reasonable, look there anyway.