[scribus] Confused on how to insert/delete pages

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 21:15:14 CET 2008

a.l.e wrote:

> hi
>> And what answer do you expect from another painter?
>>
>> Cubism ?  Who knows ?  Artists are not always polite about each others
>> styles or genres !
> i think he was writing about the other type of painters...
>
>> There is no 'one true way to enlightenment' when it comes to document
>> preparation, and there are those of us that don't come from a
>> conventional press work flow environment, who see DTP as 'document
>> preparation without the many defects of word processors', as opposed
>> to a discrete step in a process that must necessarily involve as many
>> tools as job descriptions.
> personally, i like the fact that scribus is built with the professional,
> classical, dtp worker in mind.
> it's imho an insurance that the core features of scribus will be rock
> solid and that you won't experience *any* unwanted change on your
> formatting.

:)   Yes, but its exactly this that makes it appealing to people who
have suffered the 'layout' features of WP software.

> i'm very happy if it can also fit for other workflows and needs (and i
> mostly do use it for other tasks!) and i think that  feedback for
> usecases like yours is more  than welcome!
> i even dream of a scribus which would be suitable for producing
> translatable, evolutive, technical manuals...
>
> but i also believe that such whishes should only be followed if they
> don't disturb the traditional work flow in any way.

Quite so.

> so, having objects being automatically moved on even and odd pages is
> certainly an interesting feature. but you should be aware that when
> proposing such a feature, you have to make sure that frames always move
> in a predictable way.

Well yes !

> and a user not caring on that feature should
> *never* experience a wrong placed frame because of it.

Indeed.

> you already got answers wich give some details on corner cases which
> will be difficult to be implemented...
>
> now it's time to find out all the corner cases and to draft solutions
> for it!

Possibly, though I dare say that most of us that are keen to see more
features are still keener to see a stable 1.3.5 first.

Cheers, J/.
Energy Audit, Carbon Management, Design Advice, Sustainable Energy
Consultancy and Installation, Carbon Trust Standard Registered Assessor