[scribus] Specifying columns on a Master Page

Mark F. PAL350 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 9 21:58:55 CET 2008

I'm putting together an illustrated technical book
and have done enough sample work that I'm convinced I can
do most everything I need -- processing and sizing pix to 300dpi
grayscale, margins, fonts, getting nice justified text
columns, producing good PDF, etc.

But I'm stuck on one aspect of setting up the Master Page.
Page(s), actually, because I need separate ones for the LHS
and RHS pages.  I can set up the margins, grids, page
numbering and that stuff.  But I can't figure out how to
set up the Master Page so that I get two text frames with
the attributes I require to show up in the document itself.

Closest I've come is this:  I create the Master Page, specify
margins, then make two text frames for the two columns in the
usual manner.  In my case, I'm using 3.5" wide columns.  They
are full length on the master page because I figure I can just
change them as necessary in the document.  Then I specify
"left justified" with the frame properties, and hyphenation with
Extras-->Hyphenate text. Then I move back to the main document.

When I do a Page --> Apply Master Page in the document, the
two column frames show up all right, but only with gray-dotted
borders.  Clicking on them will not select them in the usual way
so that text can be imported.

I realize I can make columns one at a time, then left-justify
the text, hyphenate, and link frames in the usual way. But I'd
sure like to do the preliminary column setup with the Master Page
if possible.

Any ideas on this?  Thanks in advance.

BTW, I'm a relative novice at this, but after messing with Quark
and Pagemaker I've found Scribus to be a breath of fresh air.

--Mark