[scribus] Which font used in the logo - Armada Regular

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun May 25 12:09:48 CEST 2008

2008/5/25 Pierre Marchand <capparis at free.fr>:
> Vous (Dave Crossland) avez écrit :
>> 2008/5/24 Peter Nermander <peter at nermander.se>:
>> > I wish fonts would be licensed the same way for example photographs
>>
>> But fonts are functional software, and photos are typically decorative
>> artwork.
>
> a rather long discussion with the need of a lot of wine, etc.

lol - that is indeed what this is :-)

> So, I don't think that glyphs should be licensed as photos because they are
> not just artwork, I don't think either that they can be treated as plain
> software, nor double licensed! So, I don't know exactly,

I believe that since fonts are software, and since type designs are
functional - a type design you can't read with is non-functional -
then they ought to be free in the same way as program software is, and
functional information like encyclopedias is too. The "glyphs are art"
reasoning is at best a misunderstanding of design as art, and at worse
a sneaky way for proprietary software developers to justify DRM.

> just think that moral right (rough translation from FR) should be preserved.

I agree, and the moral rights of authors do not conflict with the
rights users of functional information ought to have :-)

>> Fonts ought to be like Scribus: free as in freedom.
>
> Free fonts are panacea, but exception too :)

That's gonna change :-)

--
Regards,
Dave