[scribus] Which font used in the logo - Armada Regular

Pierre Marchand capparis at free.fr
Sun May 25 11:32:16 CEST 2008

Vous (Dave Crossland) avez écrit :
> 2008/5/24 Peter Nermander <peter at nermander.se>:
> > I wish fonts would be licensed the same way for example photographs
>
> But fonts are functional software, and photos are typically decorative
> artwork.

Since we’re yet in Gutenberg era, we can’t say that a font is a pure
functional piece of software. As of today, it’s still a collection of graphic
elements (more than decorative I agree, and one could even argue that glyphs
as part of a script system _are_ logical elements but it would lead to a
rather long discussion with the need of a lot of wine, etc.) encapsulated in
a simplistic software.
We can imagine or hope or think or guess that in the future fonts will be
actual "scripter" programs. I mean not just handle the pre-processing known
as shaper (note that it does not nowadays) but also offer all necessary logic
to preserve text color (MM fonts or METAFONT fonts address(ed?) some of these
problems but both are not largely used in a "graphic design" context) through
justification where you might want to distort glyphs and alter spaces, and
more. But even in this future, I think we’ll be some persons (yeah, plain
old-fashioned!) to just refuse such integrated systems and want to use glyphs
as they are rather than format text --- what I’ve prepared for myself by
writting Undertype ;-)
So, I don’t think that glyphs should be licensed as photos because they are
not just artwork, I don’t think either that they can be treated as plain
software, nor double licensed! So, I don’t know exactly, just think that
moral right (rough translation from FR) should be preserved.

> Fonts ought to be like Scribus: free as in freedom.

Free fonts are panacea, but exception too :)

--
Pierre Marchand