[scribus] exporting EPS images to PDF as vectors

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon May 19 14:31:19 CEST 2008

Jiri Bohac wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 06:28:54PM -0400, Gregory Pittman wrote:
>
>> The first thing I would suggest is not to do a workaround, just create
>> your A0 document, then examine it in a PDF viewer at high mag to see
>> what it looks like.
>>

> Did that, but the EPS drawing is rasterized. I know I can set the
> resolution in the PDF export dialog, but still, I don't like rasterizing
> vector graphics for no good reason.
>
> Btw, the PDF export takes a loooong time, eating a lot of memory and
> swap. Printing the postscript and then running ps2pdf is like a 100
> times faster, with better quality (vector) output.

I understand what you're saying, but ultimately, your vectors get
rasterized, ie, when you finally print out your poster, rasterization
gets done. The only question is whether whatever rasterization more
upstream makes any difference.

While Scribus does rasterize, afaik, there is one rasterization for your
display in Scribus, but a different one at a higher resolution for your
PDF export. So don't look at the Scribus display as an indicator of your
final PDF resolution. There shouldn't be anything magical about making a
PS file from Scribus vs. making a PDF.

Greg