[scribus] Nomenclature- Templates and Masters - English and German

Mike Morris twriterext at gmail.com
Mon May 12 19:51:49 CEST 2008

Page Nomenclature:

I am new to Scribus, and to this mailing list, but not to DTP.  I may be
entereing this discussion in the middle, so if I am my apologies.

I have been following the discussion on page nomenclature.  I also use Adobe
InDesign, Adobe FrameMaker, OpenOffice Writer and Microsoft Word.  I have,
in the past--a long time ago--used Quark.

Here is my understanding of the terms under discussion:

Template:  a collection of page (including master pages), paragraph and
character formatting commands.  A template is used for documents, and can
include graphics.  A template is designed to improve productivity when
creating repetitive documents (for example, a legal brief or a newsletter,
as only two examples).

Master Page:  a collection of paragraph and character formatting commands.
A master page can also included graphics, but it is designed to protect
repetitive design elements within a document whether the document is used
repetitively (such as a newsletter) or not.  A document may have multiple
master pages.

These distinctions hold true for InDesign and FrameMaker (at least in the US
versions).  It is my impression (I may be wrong), that this terminology has
become a defacto standard (again, in the US).  I realize that these
distinctions are somewhat blurred with the word processors (Word and
Writer), as they use "Master Documents" and/or Templates and do not have an
equivalent of Master Page.

My suggestion is that this terminology be retained; that is, do not
substitute new terms.  I expect both users and commercial printers will
appreciate the consistent terminology.