[Scribus] 2 questions

John Culleton john
Thu Mar 27 18:09:59 CET 2008

On Thursday 20 March 2008 08:54:35 am Timothy Boyden wrote:
> Yeah that is what I thought also. Any good commercial printer must
> be using a software package that does automatic flattening of PDFs
> in the Prepress stage of their workflow, I know it's set as one of
> our traps. When we finally get around to installing Kodak Prinergy
> 4, it will be using the Adobe PDF rendering engine and
> transparencies will no longer be an issue.
>
> -Tim

LSI wants interiors with color to be built to the PDF X/1:2001
standard which is about PDF 1.3 in antiquity.  It is alleged that
they search for this tag line in the pdf.  They are by far the
biggest digital printer in the US.

Covers with LSI may be a different matter but transparencies like
those used in the Freedom Yug tutorial may still cause problems.

If there is no way to "flatten" a file in Scribus what would be the
most useful external flattening program to use for a: Linux and b:
MSWin?

Gimp won't output anything with CMYK color model (other than
separations) so that won't help.  Will ImageMagick flatten files?

--
John Culleton