[Scribus] How to place text in a box

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Mon Mar 24 14:48:38 CET 2008

Chris Bergstresser wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Christoph Sch?fer
> <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>>  > It seems like a
>>  > pretty basic typesetting function.
>>
>>  No, it isn't ;)
>>

>    You know, I'm going to say any typographic convention in common
> usage in Victorian times counts as a "basic typesetting function".  I
> realize it's easier to get any number of special effects if you print
> off of engraved woodcuts, but this doesn't seem like a specially
> difficult feature to add.

I presume what you are wanting to do is something like wikis do with
code, printing a dotted line box around one or more lines.

If you're willing to be flexible [ie, think outside the box ;) ], you
can set up styles to do this.

Set up a style for the font you wish to use for your code, with
indentation to set it apart from the rest of the text. Before and after
this code you can insert a line of dots, bullets, whatever -- use the
inline graphics feature if you wish. Thus inside these lines you will be
able to expand or shrink the number of lines. What you will lack with
this method are the vertical bars to left and right.

I think for a printed output you will find that less is more -- you
don't see many computer programming books using these boxes or shading
of code text, and I think it's because it takes away from legibility
with distracting, non-information page elements. If the text is properly
set aside by its font and placement, other characteristics become
unnecessary.

Greg