[Scribus] 2 questions

Timothy Boyden tboyden
Wed Mar 19 15:21:42 CET 2008

I went back and took a look at the setting in question. I can see where
this can be confusing. The terminology used for the drop-down box on the
Color tab of the PDF export wizard uses terminology that in applications
like InDesign, Acrobat Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc... are used to
describe the output resolution intent of the document. In Scribus's case
however, the developers have chosen to use the Screen/Web, Printer and
Grayscale terminology for color mode selection. If we want to be
consistent with other applications in the trade, it might be advisable
to update this dialog box to clarify what the setting is actually
setting. In most of the other graphics applications I've worked with,
the drop-down is labeled "Color Mode:" and the drop-down values are:
"RGB, CMYK, LAB, and Grayscale" which is more descriptive of what is
being set.

-Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: scribus-bounces at kirsche.altmuehlnet.de
[mailto:scribus-bounces at kirsche.altmuehlnet.de] On Behalf Of avox
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:58 AM
To: scribus at kirsche.altmuehlnet.de
Subject: Re: [Scribus] 2 questions

Timothy Boyden wrote:

> Typically among DTP applications, creating a PDF for Screen/Web
> produces a
> 72 DPI low resolution PDF that is suitable for viewing on the Internet

> in a web browser. Creating a PDF for a "Printer" would apply both to
> your local desktop printer or a Commercial Printer.

Dunno what a typical DTP app does, but Scribus uses the resolution set
in the fields "Maximum image resolution" and "Resolution for EPS
graphics" on the first tab of the PDF export dialog. That is
*independent* of the Screen/Web vs.
Printer setting on the color tab.

As the tooltips say, the Screen/Web vs. Printer vs. Grayscale settings
control which colorspace is used in the PDF file. Print shops usually
expect CMYK, so "Printer" is the right setting for that. Desktop
printers usually expect RGB data, but currently Scribus only outputs
sRGB and that might look wrong if the printer expects another
colorspace, e.g. AdobeRGB.

HTH
/Andreas