[Scribus] Backward-compatibility (was: Scribus for Scientific writing)

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Thu Mar 6 21:46:11 CET 2008

Am Donnerstag, 6. M?rz 2008 19:44:41 schrieb Michal Blazejczyk:
> Alexander Haensch wrote:
> > (...)
> >
> > The most importent thing is the File format. It would be
> > a catastrophy if i cannot open a old Article with a newer
> > version.
> >
> > Is there a  guarantee of using old scribus files in new
> > versions?
>
> Hi,
>
> Just a comment on this particular topic.  I haven't had
> problems *opening* my old files with newer versions of
> Scribus.  However, they often don't *look* the same in
> newer versions.  For example, at some point the default
> distance between text and the edges of text frames was
> changed which made all my text frames misalign.
> Sometimes it can be something even smaller, a minor
> rendering change of some sort, and suddenly your text
> doesn't end where it was ending a month earlier.
>
> I use Scribus to publish a magazine, and the precise
> layout of text is important for me.  For the reasons
> described above, I very rarely open old Scribus files
> in newer versions - I just know they won't look the
> same.

One means to improve the situation is to upload those files with a bug report
and a description of what has changed, so that the issues can be fixed.

Cheers

Christoph