[Scribus] Export to CMYK JPEG or TIFF?

Craig Ringer craig
Sat Mar 1 18:43:05 CET 2008

Vossler T wrote:
> Hi
>
> you mention that you used tifficc to batch process image file to cmyk
> images,  I only make this works   "jpegicc -oprinter.icm inrgb.jpg
> outcmyk.jpg" in windows environment,
>
> is that a options could let us  jpegicc -oprinter.icm "soure path floder
> image file"  "destination path"  something like  jpegicc -oprinter.icm
> e:/photos/*.jpg  e:/cmyk/

The process I use tifficc in first converts from a printer-specific CMYK
tiff to an sRGB tiff, then feeds the result into ImageMagick's mogrify
tool to resize the images.  It's really very simple, in that most of it
is documentation and error handling.

If you're working on Windows a shell script won't be much good to you.
You could use the cmd.exe shell, but it's really pretty pathetic and the
syntax is truly awful even compared to berkeley-derived shells like
bash. Windows Scripting Host would work if you're one of the three
people in the world who knows how to use it. Personally I'd recommend
using your preferred scripting language to write a short script to do
the job. In your position on Windows I'd be using Python.

Alternately, you could install Cygwin (a UNIX-like environment for
Windows) and use the attached script, maybe with a few tweaks for
cygwin. I don't recommend that, though, and I think you're much better
off writing a little script to do it yourself.

An untested example in quick and dirty Python with little error handling
and no directory recursion follows. You could improve it pretty easily
even if you know little or no Python.

#!/usr/bin/env python
tifficc_path="C:\\path\\to\\tifficc.exe"
tifficc_args=["-t0","-oprinter.icm"]
import os
import sys
if len(sys.argv) < 3:
   print "Usage: %s input_dir output_dir"
for infile in [ x for x in os.listdir(argv[1]) if os.path.isfile(x) ]:
   fileext = os.path.basename(infile).split(".")[-1]
   if fileext.lower() not in ["tiff", "tif"]:
       continue
   outfile = os.path.join(argv[2],os.path.basename(infile)
   ret = os.execv(tifficc_path, tifficc_args + [infile, outfile])
   if ret != 0:
       print "WARNING: Failed to convert %s" % infile

Obviously lots can be improved in the above: capturing the tifficc error
and reporting it neatly rather than letting it be dumped on stderr;
checking for indir = outdir (note: this can never be done perfectly due
to ntfs junctions etc, but in practice is useful anyway); making it less
ugly, etc.

I've attached the shell script I use. As you can see it's nothing special.

--
Craig Ringer

#!/bin/bash

set -u

if test $# -ne 1 ; then
        echo ""
        echo "Usage: $0 /absolute/path/to/pages/directory"
        echo ""
        echo "  The target directory will be recursively scanned for images to convert."
        echo "  This script will actually work with any directory containing TIFF images as the target."
        echo "  To get an accurate conversion the images should be sRGB or have an embedded profile."
        echo ""
        echo "  Result images will be written to a newly created subdirectory of the  current directory:"
        echo "    (`pwd`/webimg-`date -I`)"
        echo ""
        exit 1
fi
srcdir="$1"

if test "${srcdir:0:1}" != "/" ; then
        srcdir="`pwd`/$srcdir"
        echo "Input path wasn't absolute. Using:"
        echo "  $srcdir"
        echo ""
fi

mkdir -p webimg-`date -I`
outdir="`pwd`/webimg-`date -I`"
echo "Will write output to: $outdir"
cd "$outdir"

# Num leading chars of path to strip
declare -i chstrip=$(( ${#1} ))

IFS='
'
for f in `find "$srcdir" -type d -name .AppleDouble -prune -fprint /dev/null -o  -type f -iname \*.tif -print -o -type f -iname \*.tiff` ; do
        # Strip path prefix
        x="${f:${chstrip}}"
        # and replace / with _ throughout the string
        outfile="${x//\//_}"
        echo "Processing <<$f>> to <<$outfile>> ..."
        tifficc -t0 "$f" "$outfile"
        tifficcerr=$?
        if test "$tifficcerr" -ne 0 ; then
                echo "TiffICC: $tifficcerr. I'll copy it over and see what happens. This is usually OK."
                echo -n "File info on original: "
                file "$f"
                outfile="err_${outfile}"
                cp "$f" "$outfile"
        fi
        mogrify -resize 320x320 -format jpeg "${outfile}"
        mogrifyerr=$?
        if test "$mogrifyerr" -ne 0 ; then
                echo "Mogrify error $mogrifyerr; You'll have to fix ${outfile} yourself."
        else
                rm "${outfile}"
        fi
done
IFS="$save_IFS"

echo "Finished, wrote output to $outdir"