[scribus] 1.3.3.12 no odt support???

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Jun 27 02:15:55 CEST 2008

On Thursday 26 June 2008 05:06:45 pm Craig Bradney wrote:
> > The wiki tends to bury a leaf in a forest, with all kinds of
> > strategies which the end user has no need of. Indeed the whole
> > cmake process fixes problems that I don't have. For all my app
> > software I put each new version in its own directory. Then I
> > compile it. The older executable is renamed. The newer one is
> > copied
> > to /usr/local/bin. Right now I have in that /usr/local/bin:
> > scribus (1.3.3.12)
> > and
> > scribus11 (1.3.3.11).
> > Both work now.
>
> You cant just do that and expect it to work.. the plugins are built
> for a particular version.. copying just the executable wont work
> properly, plus the executable has the paths you set with configure
> or cmake for plugins stored in it.. use make install, not copy
> (unless you copy the whole tree to the install location which is
> rediculous).
>
> > The directory "local" means just what it says. Software that
> > comes with Linux is in /usr/bin. Software that I install resides
> > in /usr/local/bin.  That is where you will find executables for
> > Scribus, Gimp, Inkscape, two flavors of COBOL and so on. It is on
> > the search path for everyone. Going down a third level to
> > /home/whatever is overkill for a single user machine.  Suppose I
> > sign on as root?
>
> Why would you want to run Scribus or Gimp or Inkscape etc as root?
>
> > Then the Scribus program becomes invisible.
>
> Thats part of the idea. You dont want to run any of these apps as
> root, unless of course you want to run under the Windows
> philosophy.
>
> Craig

And if for some reason I create another user id (for a grndchild
perhaps) then Scribus is similarly walled off. Other software is
available to all users, why not Scribus? For example TeX is
in /usr/local/texlive by default, and the binary there is in the
search path defined by /etc/profile.

I ran make install, but the old defective vesion of 1.3.3.12 was still
in the /usr/local bin directory.  Possibly it was an ownership
problem. l So I deleted it and copied the correct one there.
Remember /usr/local/bin is searched ahead of e.g., /usr/bin.  So
anyhow it works.  No error messages.

I'll have to see if the improvements in handling text have an effect
on my jobs.  Tomorrow---

--
John Culleton