[scribus] testing Scribus Limits :-)

Pierre Marchand capparis at free.fr
Wed Jun 25 10:12:10 CEST 2008

Vous (Femke Snelting) avez écrit :
> OK, I admit... this is a bit of a crazy experiment
>
> We are designing a catalogue for an exhibition and each of the 500
> copies will have a different cover. We're using the scripter-API to
> generate these from inside Scribus, tested the output with our printer
> and so far so good.
>
> What we did not foresee, is that with each run, Scribus slows down a bit
> more. We started our final run last night 23:00 at 40 seconds per pdf
> and calculated to be ready in the morning, but we are only halfway and
> each pdf takes almost 5 minutes by now -- I guess at this speed we will
> need another 24 hours to complete the task which is beyond our printers'
> deadline.
>
> Is there any thing we can do to gain back Scribus' initial speed without
> stopping the process?
>
> The insane problem is, that if we stop the script we need to be sure it
> will go significantly faster afterwards; also the covers follow a
> storyline so it is hard to start halfway (ehm, I don't know how to do it
> without losing my mind)
>
> here are some of the first and last pdf's generated plus the python script:
>
> http://ospublish.constantvzw.org/sources/pzicatalogue/
>
> Thanks a lot for any thoughts or ideas!
>
> Femke
In the script, you have:
for count in range(howmany):
[...]
		loadImage(images_gordo[count], "image_gordo")

		loadImage(images_linda[count], "image_linda")

		loadImage(images_ricardo[count], "image_ricardo")

		loadImage(images_maria[count], "image_maria")
[...]

I’m not exactly sure but it seems that you load a bunch of TIFFs here.. Could
be the problem. I do not have a solution right now. I’ll try to come with an
idea before noon though. If you’re in a hurry, IRC is better designed.

HTH

Pierre Marchand