[scribus] testing Scribus Limits :-)

Femke Snelting snelting at geuzen.org
Wed Jun 25 09:10:13 CEST 2008

OK, I admit... this is a bit of a crazy experiment

We are designing a catalogue for an exhibition and each of the 500
copies will have a different cover. We're using the scripter-API to
generate these from inside Scribus, tested the output with our printer
and so far so good.

What we did not foresee, is that with each run, Scribus slows down a bit
more. We started our final run last night 23:00 at 40 seconds per pdf
and calculated to be ready in the morning, but we are only halfway and
each pdf takes almost 5 minutes by now -- I guess at this speed we will
need another 24 hours to complete the task which is beyond our printers'
deadline.

Is there any thing we can do to gain back Scribus' initial speed without
stopping the process?

The insane problem is, that if we stop the script we need to be sure it
will go significantly faster afterwards; also the covers follow a
storyline so it is hard to start halfway (ehm, I don't know how to do it
without losing my mind)

here are some of the first and last pdf's generated plus the python script:

http://ospublish.constantvzw.org/sources/pzicatalogue/

Thanks a lot for any thoughts or ideas!

Femke