[scribus] mixing rgb and cmyk

Andrew A. Gill superluser at frontiernet.net
Wed Jun 25 00:06:58 CEST 2008

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Andrew A. Gill wrote:
>
>> If you intend to print something out, always use CMYK.
>
> This is not necessarily always the best choice:
>
> - Many home printers expect RGB input and will do a very poor job when
[snip]
> - Modern print shops may accept PDF/X-3 with ICC-tagged RGB data. This
>   lets you send your data to the print shop in their original colour
>   spaces and lets their RIP do the conversion with its often superior
[snip]

Agreed.  Always work to your output and make sure you have to as
few color conversions as possible.

I tend to work with lines and shapes and not much with full-color
images.  In those cases, you have the opportunity to start in
CMYK or RGB.  In those cases, there really is no reason not to
use CMYK unless you're printing on something that *requires* RGB
input.

So yes, my opinions are biased toward the type of work I do.

--
| Andrew A. Gill     To ensure continued quality of service,   |
|                    this e-mail is being monitored by the NSA |