[scribus] mixing rgb and cmyk

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jun 24 20:02:32 CEST 2008

Andrew A. Gill wrote:

> If you intend to print something out, always use CMYK.

This is not necessarily always the best choice:

- Many home printers expect RGB input and will do a very poor job when
   fed pre-converted CMYK data. You're better off using an RGB colour
   profile to transform colours for these printers, then let their
   drivers do the CMYK, CcMmYK, etc translation. This is especially
   important for "photo printers" and other six-or-more colour printers,
   as most CMYK spaces cannot represent their full gamut, where a
   wide-gamut RGB space like Adobe RGB is well suited to it.

- Modern print shops may accept PDF/X-3 with ICC-tagged RGB data. This
   lets you send your data to the print shop in their original colour
   spaces and lets their RIP do the conversion with its often superior
   knowledge of the performance of the press. Unfortunately, many
   print shops will just look at you funny and say "why do you want to
   send RGB?" because they just don't get ICC colour workflows, but
   a few are starting to get it. It doesn't help that ICC workflows are
   hard to get right and somewhat easy to misunderstand.

For most print shops, though, I agree that sticking to pre-converted
CMYK is currently the way to go.

--
Craig Ringer

   Whatever