[scribus] No real CMYK black possible??

Andrew A. Gill superluser at frontiernet.net
Mon Jun 23 03:36:31 CEST 2008

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008, Tino Schwarze wrote:

> Thanks, I verified that using my testfile and cmyk colors come out as
> expected. I can't check the images this way, though. Strange: When I run
> the EPS file through ghostscript[1], my 40/40/40/100 black seems to get
> converted to 0/0/0/100 black - at least I can only see this kind of
> black in Cinepaint. :-(

Two things that I forgot to mention:

1.) Use postscript, not encapsulated postscript.  There shouldn't
be any difference, but it's better to remove any possibility of
error. (print to file using postscript)

2.) I'm getting a spot color (SpotRich_Black) in my PS outputs.
Looks to be Rich Black.  See below.

And now a third point:

3.) I tried printing separations, and I got interesting results.

The black separation shows everything pure black, except the RGB
black image, which is rather lighter than the rest (to be
expected).  The cyan separation only shows the RGB black and the
stroke around Total Black.  The magenta and yellow separations
both show the same as the cyan, though the magenta separation of
the RGB image is lighter than the cyan separation, and the yellow
is much lighter than all of them.  The stroke around the total
black appears to remain the same intensity.

As to the spot color, it is only present in the stroke around the
Rich Black box.  It is not visible in any of the separations,
even if I turn on convert spot colors to process colors.

--
| Andrew A. Gill     To ensure continued quality of service,   |
|                    this e-mail is being monitored by the NSA |